Ingmar is a creative that love ideas that are simple and smart. He holds two masters: Master of Business Administration and a Master of Digital Media Design. Besides the studies he worked at Silver & Partners in New York, and 180Amsterdam working on brands like Playstation, HP, DHL, Qatar Airways, M&Ms, Asics, Audi and Moyee coffee. That’s ‘just’ advertising though, Ingmar loves his side projects such as the NoPhone. This international success even brought him to TEDx talk and it featured on the massive American TV Show Shark Tank.
He loves the winter sports and used to work as a snowboard/ski instructor in both the artificial ‘mountains’ of the Netherlands and the big ones in Austria.
1) What is The NoPhone?The NoPhone is a technology-free alternative to constant hand-to-phone contact. With a thin, light and completely wireless design, the NoPhone acts as a surrogate to any smart mobile device, enabling you to always have a rectangle of smooth, cold plastic to clutch without forgoing any potential engagement with your direct environment. Never again experience the unsettling feeling of flesh on flesh when closing your hand.
2) How did you come up with the idea for The No Phone?
My friends and I were at a rooftop bar in NYC. We looked up from our phones and realized that everyone else was looking at their phones too. Phone addiction is real. It’s all around us and it’s only getting worse. Dates are lit by screens instead of candles. We go to concerts in person and watch them through the sea of screens in front of us. It’s disrupting us in movie theaters. It’s clogging up our sidewalks. It’s ruining our posture everywhere else. On average people check their device around 150 times a day. We asked ourselves how can we solve this problem, and that’s when we came up with the idea for the NoPhone.
3) Is it a business or a novelty gift?
It’s the perfect gift for people who are addicted to their smartphones.
4) How did your experience on Shark Tank help your business?
Increasing sales, with this massive exposure it unleashed the discussion on the internet.
5) Why did you create The NoPhone?
The project started as a joke, gaining a lot of free international media attention, raising more awareness around the global phenomenon of smartphone addiction.
6) Where will your product go in the future?
We love to surprise people so keep an eye on us and you will find out.
We would like to thank Ingmar for speaking with us.